Well, I'm off to Austria and the Netherlands to give some talks and teach some people how to make sex toys!

Paraflows 2010

• Paraflows 2010: I am my own XBox
  • 10-12. September 2010
  • 14:00-19:00 Uhr
  • Raum D, QDK, quartier21, MQ, Museumsplatz 1, 1070 Wien

I'll be speaking at Paraflows about a concept I've been working on, of body as game console. Using biometrics equipment, what can we do to make the human body the game mechanic, instead of just augmenting other video games with biometric control?

I think I'm speaking sometime in the midafternoon on Sept 10, will update once I know.

WormWeb

• DIY Sex Toys Workshop
  • in: WORM's future location on Witte de Withstraat 63, Rotterdam
  • for: 30 euros including materials
  • Register by emailing workshop@moddr.net
  • bringing your own laptop is preferred.

Yup. After 5+ years of running slashdong, now it's time to start passing that knowledge on to others. In this full day intensive workshop, we'll be building a simple computer controlled vibrator using the arduino, then programming it for different control schemes (audio, network, sensor, etc...) using processing. I'll probably be doing this workshop in the states sometime after I get back, so don't worry if you don't happen to be in Rotterdam next weekend.

Subotron

I'll be presenting some of the prototyping work I've been doing on my reusing fun project. Here's the talk abstract:

With each new generation of video games, we see increases in technology, game mechanic complexity, and new styles of play. However, what happens if we take the toys of the past and turn them into game controllers? Or take the newest and most modern game controllers and start applying them to the relics of video game history. "Going Forward in the Backward Direction" is an effort to apply the fun of yesterday to the technology of today, and to take the control and environmental elements that makes video games interesting today and rewind them to see what new elements can be added to history. This talk will outline the projects already created and currently in development, including an overview of the technologies used and new game mechanics created. From self-reconfiguring miniature golf and kite pong to haptic Super Glove Ball and tetris that serves you alcohol, these projects strive to answer the question "how can we reuse fun?".